You are here
Data Management Skills Support Initiative - Assessing, Benchmarking and Classifying (DaMSSI-ABC) a support project for the JISC 01/12 data management training projects
DaMSSI - Assessment, Benchmarking and Classification
Research Data Management Skills Support Initiative - Assessment, Benchmarking and Classification (DaMSSI-ABC) continues the work of DaMSSI. The project will run from August 2012 and until August 2013.
DaMSSI-ABC aims to support and improve coherence in the development, dissemination and reuse of research data management training materials developed by the JISC RDMTrain projects.
DaMSSI-ABC aims to
- Work with relevant professional bodies / learned societies and funders, to endorse and promote good data management practice.
- Classify course offerings, by ensuring that the anticipated outcomes of training interventions are clearly set out to allow participants to select the training that best meets their learning objectives.
- Identify and agree benchmarks on learning outcomes on learning outcomes and means of assessment so that courses from a range of training providers can be effectively compared.
DaMSSI-ABC will work with the JISC RDMTrain projects to support classification and deposit of training materials into JORUM so they are more easily discoverable for reuse.
DaMSSI-ABC will identify and promote benchmarks for data management training in cooperation with other stakeholders including professional bodies.
The Researcher Development Framework, and its new information literacy lens, will be used as a key reference for this purpose.
DaMSSI-ABC will also work with the JISC RDMTrain projects to trial Research Information and Digital Literacies Coalition (RIDLs) draft criteria for describing good practice in information handling training.
Outputs will include
- Dissemination and synthesis of RDMTrain projects’ outputs and key messages
- Improved communication established between the communities represented by the RDMTrain projects and professional bodies and other stakeholders.
- A research data management portal or “lens” within Jorum with descriptive keywords for increased visibility of project outputs.
- Agreed methodology for mapping project materials to the Researcher Development Framework as a means of benchmarking
- A set of criteria that can be adopted for self-assessment, description and evaluating of data management training courses
Guidance on depositing to Jorum RDM collection
Draft criteria checklist for developing and describing information literacy training
Draft criteria checklist for evaluating information literacy training
Please feel free to provide feedback on the draft criteria for developing and describing and/or evaluating information literacy training. Please send your feedback and comments to us by June 30 2013.
- Vitae Researcher Development Framework Information Literacy Lens
RIDLs Criteria for Describing and Reviewing Good Practice in Information Literacy Training
DaMSSI-ABC events and presentations
- DaMSSI-ABC workshop, April 18, 2013
- Researcher Development Framework, Jonathan Roberts, Vitae,
- Vitae RDF Mapping Methodology
- Vitae RDF Mapping Document
- Vitae Information Literacy Lens on the RDF
- Vitae Database of Practice Overview
- DaMSSI-ABC and Jorum, Siobhan Burke, Jorum
- Pushing the Boundaries - Excellence in Digital Curation Education and Training Through Collaboration workshop on 1 October 2012, Toronto as part of iPRES 2012)
- Overview of DaMSSI, JISC MRD Research Data Management Training Workshop, 26 October 2012, London
- Introduction to the RIDLs criteria for goor practice, JISC MRD Research Data Management Training Workshop, 26 October 2012, London
DaMSSI-ABC project team:
Siobhan Burke: siobhan.burke[at]manchester.ac.uk (Research Officer)
Joy Davidson: joy.davidson[at]glasgow.ac.uk (Project Manager)
Stephane Goldstein: stephane.goldstein[at]researchinfonet.org (Consultant)
Laura Molloy: laura.molloy[at]glasgow.ac.uk (Research Officer)
Jonathan Roberts: jonathan.roberts[at]vitae.ac.uk (Consultant)
Kellie Snow: kellie.snow[at]glasgow.ac.uk (Research Officer)
In this section
- Research Data Registry
- Past projects